Online Now 579

Rebels get by Dawgs in OT

OXFORD, Miss. — Ole Miss’ Marshall Henderson scored 25 points, 19 of which came in the second half and overtime, to hand Georgia an 84-74 overtime loss Saturday night at C.M. “Tad” Smith Coliseum.

Kenny Gaines scored a career-high 13 points before fouling out in the second half of Saturday night's overtime defeat at Ole Miss. (Photo by Wes Blankenship/UGA Sports Communications)

Georgia was led by sophomore guard Kentavious Caldwell Pope, who recorded his fourth double-double of the season with 19 points and 12 rebounds.

“That’s a tough loss,” UGA coach Mark Fox said. “I am really proud of our team, proud of how they competed, how hard they played and how they laid it all out there. It’s a game that we should have won in regulation.

“I thought we played really, really hard. I thought we competed hard, I thought we were unselfish and I thought that we defended pretty well throughout the whole game. We just couldn’t keep them off the foul line, and that’s so hard to overcome, but I was really pleased with a lot of things. … We had a lot of guys play well, and I thought our team played well. We just didn’t finish the job.”

After trailing nearly the entire second half, Ole Miss used a 10-0 run to take a 66-64 lead with under three minutes remaining, eventually forcing the game into overtime after junior forward Donte’ Williams nearly ended the game with a tip-in as the buzzer sounded.


Georgia trailed early in the first half, down by as many as five but closed the half on a 15-4 run, holding the Rebels scoreless in the half’s final four minutes to take a 41-35 halftime lead.

The Rebels fought back in the second half, taking the lead 51-49 off of a Nick Williams jumper, but Georgia went on a 10-0 run to grab back the lead 59-51.

With just 3:36 remaining and the Bulldogs up 64-56, the Rebels’ Henderson, who was limited to just 25 minutes in the game due to foul trouble manged to draw a technical foul call against Kenny Gaines, who referees thought had swung an elbow to hit Henderson.

Ole Miss outscored Georgia 14-4 in overtime, including six from the free throw stripe. In the game, Ole Miss went 30-for-36 from the free throw line, while Georgia shot 13-for-19. The game was physical from the start, with four players fouling out and 48 total fouls being called.

Georgia outrebounded the Rebels 45-30, and shot nearly 50 percent from the field. Ole Miss capitalized on points off turnovers, scoring 24 to Georgia’s 10.

The Bulldogs will return to the court on Thursday, taking on Arkansas in Fayetteville. The game will tip-off at 7 p.m. and will be televised on ESPN2.

Courtesy of UGA Sports Communications

Already have an account? Sign In