In partnership with CBSSports.com
Online Now 218
Online now 481 Record: 3990 (6/13/2012)
You have no favorite boards.
The most viewed topics.
The most replied to topics.
The most up-voted topics.
The most down-voted topics.
The most up-voted posters.
The most down-voted posters.
The most followed posters.
Here is an exceptional post with some data from a free board about that topic:
After reading the sensational hand wringing from one of our perennially exciteable posters, I decided to look at the top ranked recruits from the state of Georgia for the last 5 seasons, not including 2013 because they haven't proven anthing yet. I looked at the top 20 in state because those are usually the four and five star athletes that incite the most hand wringing and doomsaying from Georgia fans, and because more than that turns into a lot of work. I used the rankings from another site because they published an easily accessible state ranking for those years. For 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, I used the post season recruit rankings, for the 2012 class I used the pre-season rankings because post-season was behind the paywall.
Recruits from the Georgia top 20. The number represents state ranking.
Those who signed somewhere besides UGA.
1. Omar Hunter - part time starter at UF. Undrafted
5. Josh Jarboe - never played at Oklahoma, kicked out of school.
6. Jarmon Fortson - kicked out of FSU
7. Brice Butler - kicked out of USC
12. Brandon Thompson - starter at Clemson, drafted late 3rd round in 2012
14. Jamoris Slaughter - started 19 games in 4 years at Notre Dame, 98 career tackles, two interceptions, drafted 6th round as a safety
15. Devonta Bolton - didn't qualify for 2008 class at Alabama, went JUCO, unsigned in 2010
17. Chaz Sutton - UGA didn't recruit because of grades. Committed to UF, but they dropped him because of grades. Committed to to South Carolina, went to prep school and then USCe. Recorded 25 tackles and 5 sacks in 2012. Should start at DE in 2013.
19. Omoregie Uzzi - starter for Georgia Tech at OL, undrafted
1. Greg Reid - kicked out of FSU.
3. Jarvis Jones - USC then UGA
5. Donovan Tate signed LOI with UNC, then entered the Baseball draft
8. Darren Myles - kicked out of Tennessee.
9. Michael Bowman - processed out of Alabama
10. Drayton Calhoun - transferred from LSU to Middle Tennessee State
11. Phillip Lutzenkirchen - starter at Auburn, undrafted in 2013.
12. Jamal Patterson - signed with Stanford, had 25 catches for 375 yards during his four years there.
14. John Drew - kicked out of Duke after arrest, transferred to North Carolina Central. I believe undrafted in 2013.
15. Johny Farms - committed to UNC, went to Hargrave, committed to Memphis in 2010, now a starting DT.
17. DJ Adams - 1380 career rushing yards at Maryland in 3 seasons
18. Kevin Minter - Had a breakout season at LSU in 2012, drafted 2nd round of 2013 draft
19. Reggie Taylor -signed with Auburn, didn't qualify and went to JUCO.
1. DaRick Rogers - kicked out of Tennessee, undrafted
2. Markeith Ambles - kicked out of Southern Cal
5. Jeffrey Whitaker - splits time on the DL at Auburn, 44 career tackles in three seasons.
6. Jawuan James - starting OT at Tennessee
8. Storm Johnson - minimal stats at Miami, disciplinary issues, eventually transferred to UCF, rushed for 500 yards in 2012
9. Tai-ler Jones - Starting WR at Notre Dame, has 1321 receiving yards in three seasons so far.
11. Rajion Neal - Intermittent starter at Tennessee, has 1039 rushing yards in 3 seasons so far.
12. Mack Brown - Never a starter at Florida, has 167 rushing yards over 3 seasons
13. Adrian Hubbard - redshirted at Alabama in 2010, listed as a starter for 2013. Recorded 50 tackles and 7 sacks over the last 2 seasons.
14. Michael Taylor - rising RS JR at Florida, starter in 2012. 68 tackles, 1 sack over two seasons so far.
15. Brian Vogler - Red shirted at Alabama, listed as a starter at TE for 2013. 27 yards receiving over two seasons so far.
16. Anthony Williams - Red Shirtet at Georgia Tech, listed as a 2nd team DE for 2013, 9 career tackles in 2 seasons so far.
17. Denzel McCoy - never played at Georgia Tech because of a medical condition, arrested for theft by taking
19. Rajaan Bennett - shot to death prior to enrolling at Vanderbilt.
20. Darius Robinson - backup cornerback at Clemson in his first 3 seasons, recorded 13 tackles and one interception in 2012.
2. Stephon Tuitt - started 13 games at DE at Notre Dame, recorded 47 tackles, 12 sacks in 2012.
6. Xavier Dickson - rising junior at Alabama, listed as starter at LB for 2013. 36 career tackles, 4 sacks recorded over 2 seasons.
7. James Vaughters - rising junior, starting linebacker at Stanford. 37 career tackles, 2 sacks over 2 seasons.
11. Quan Bray - Rising junior at Auburn, listed as a starting WR. 187 career receiving yards over 2 seasons so far.
12. AJ Johnson - Rising junior at Tennessee, starter at LB, 218 career tackles over 2 seasons so far.
13. Gabe Wright - Rising junior at Auburn, intermittent DL starter in 2012, listed as first team for 2013. 31 career tackles, 2 sacks so far in 2 seasons.
14. Avery Walls - Rising junior at Cal, starter at safety for 2012. 56 tackles, no ints in 2012.
15. Jabari Hunt-Days, Rising RS SO at Georgia tech, starter at linebacker in 2012, recorded 84 tackles.
16. Justin Coleman - Rising junior at Tennessee, starter at cornerback. 69 career tackles, no interceptions.
19. Shannon Brown - didn't sign LOI, went to JUCO.
3. Geno Smith - rising sophomore at Alabama, listed as a starter for 2013. Nine tackles, no ints in 2012.
5. Ricky Parks - rising soph at Auburn, not listed on the 2013 depth chart, no stats recorded in 2012
6. Jacquay Williams - held up by NCAA, wasn't admitted to Auburn, went to prep school
7. Ukeme Eligwe - listed as a backup LB for FSU on 2013 depth chart.
8. Dalvin Tomlinson - listed as a backup DE for Alabama on 2013 depth chart.
9. Jordan Watkins - not listed on the Stanford depth chart at DT.
10. Raphael Kirby - listed as first team on the Miami 2013 depth chart, 16 tackles in 2012.
11. Dillon Lee - not listed on the Alabama depth chart at LB
12. Mike Davis - listed as a 2013 starter at South Carolina, rushed for 275 yards in 2012.
14. Kenyan Drake - listed as a backup RB at Alabama for 2013, rushed for 281 yards in 2012.
15. CJ Curry - listed as a backup WR at OK State for 2013, 33 receiving yards in 2012.
16. Joshua Holsey - listed as a backup at CB for Auburn in 2013, 30 tackles in 2012
17. Jarontay Jones - not listed on the depth chart at DE for Va Tech in 2013.
18. Deion Bonner - dismissed from Tennessee after arrest.
19. Quinteze Williams - not listed on the depth chart at DE for florida in 2013.
20. Jason Croom - listed as a backup Wr on the Tennessee depth chart for 2013. No stats in 2012.
Recruits who signed with UGA.
Justin Scott Wesley
Summary of 5 years top 20, 100 total players
63 recruits signed somewhere besides UGA. 20 of those 63 (32%) either never enrolled, were dismissed or tranferred. 18 (28%) managed to stay in school and were either full or part time starters at some point in their career. Three have been drafted, Brandon Thompson of Clemson, Jamoris Slaughter of ND, and Kevin Minter of LSU. The rest have been career backups to date, although several are slated to start next season.
During the same period, Georgia signed 37 players out of that group of 100. 9/37 (24%) either weren't admitted or left school for various reasons. 16 (43%) have stayed in school and been starters at Georgia, with several more slated to start next season. Six have been drafted (not including Jarvis Jones who signed with USC).
Top ranked recruits from the state of Georgia who don't sign with UGA are
1. Less likely to stay in school
2. Less likely to start for the football team of their choice.
3. Less likely to be drafted into the NFL.
Summary by school, 2008 - 2012 Georgia top 20 recruits
Starters to date (excluding players dismissed from school):
Georgia 16 (Tyson, King, Washingon, Glenn, Robinson, Boykin, Smith, Smith, Burnette, Jones, Ogletree, Mitchell, Swann, Rome, Herrera, Jenkins)
Tennessee 4 (James, Neal, Johnson, Coleman)
Auburn 4 (Lutzenkirchen, Whitaker, Wright, Bray)
Notre Dame 3 (Slaughter, Jones, Tuitt)
Georgia Tech 2 (Uzzi, Hunt-Days)
Florida 2 (Hunter, Taylor)
South Carolina 2 (Sutton, Davis)
LSU 1 (Minter)
Clemson 1 (Thompson)
Conclusion #1: Considering that "our instate recruiting is broken", UGA coaching staff has been extremely lucky to recruit so many starters from the state of Georgia. While nearly two thirds of the state's top 20 over a five year period have gone elsewhere, UGA has landed four times as many starters from that group as the nearest rival, and about the same total starters as all of our rivals combined. Based on players already slated to start, and future potential starters from the 2012 and 2013 classes, I don't see that ratio changing very much in the near future. I almost wondered if our coaches aren't doing a better job of rating Georgia HS football talent than the recruit rankings services, but how could that be possible?
Conclusion #2: Our coaches know more about Georgia HS players than anyone else. They let a lot of high profile recruits leave the state for good reasons, either because they're not as good as advertised, or they have behavioral or attitude problems. Fans generally have minimal understanding of which recruits our staff really wants and which they don't get too upset about losing.
#2 is my guess.
And boom goes the dynamite.
Not gonna quote the whole post again, but this made me smile. Kirby raid my ass.
"...this is the game plan, we have no alternate plan"-Erskine Russell
Johnny Dwight commits to Bama on 6/4/13 ranked the 44th DT in the nation by 247sports and 87 rating a 3 star. Now see the Bama bump.
"....All I ask is that he be loyal to Georgia, proud of that jersey, and try like the devil to win." --- Wally Butts
possibly... How tired are you?
247Sports In partnership with CBS Sports